aXe: the Accessibility Engine
aXe is an open source rules library for accessibility testing. It was developed to empower developers to take automated accessibility testing into their own hands and to avoid common pitfalls of other automated accessibility tools.
What sets aXe apart?
Lightweight, flexible, and secure. aXe-core is a self-contained open source library and testing engine. It doesn’t require any outside server calls, and it can be customized to include custom rules and to integrate with all modern browsers and testing frameworks.
Getting Started with an aXe Browser Extension
- Download the aXe extension for Chrome or the aXe extension for Firefox.
- Go to the page you want to test.
- Open up your browser’s developer tools menu. You can accomplish this by right-clicking on the page and selecting “Inspect” or “Inspect Element.”
- Select the aXe tab in the developer tools menu. In Firefox the tab is named “Accessibility” or “aXe Accessibility Audit.”
- Hit the big “Analyze” button.On the left-hand side of the aXe dashboard, you’ve got a handy list of accessibility issues and how many times the issue occurs on the page. When you click on an issue, a detailed explanation is provided to the right of the list and includes:
- A description of the issue with a link to additional info available for free on Deque University
- A snippet of the code that has caused the issue
- Guidelines for fixing the issue
- Information about the severity of the issue and which accessibility guidelines are being violated (e.g. WCAG 2.0, Section 508, etc.)
- And the “Inspect” button which will bring you to the problem-code in your browser’s page inspector
Here’s a Video Guide for You Multi-Sensory Learners
Take a deeper dive with aXe-core
Ready to go straight to the source?
Download the aXe-core library directly from GitHub or npm to start building
aXe into your testing environment or start using one of our framework integrations.Learn more on aXe-core.org
Creating Accessible Web Applications with aXe
aXe Live Tutorial
aXe Updates and Coconut
Are you ready for enterprise-level accessibility testing?
WorldSpace Attest - Accessibility testing for development teams