axe: Accessibility for Development Teams
Start building accessibility into your dev process today.
Choose the axe that works for you.
Getting Started with an axe Browser Extension
- Download the axe extension for Chrome or the axe extension for Firefox.
- Go to the page you want to test.
- Open up your browser’s developer tools menu. You can accomplish this by right-clicking on the page and selecting “Inspect” or “Inspect Element.”
- Select the axe tab in the developer tools menu. In Firefox the tab is named “Accessibility” or “axe Accessibility Audit.”
- Hit the big “Analyze” button.On the left-hand side of the axe dashboard, you’ve got a handy list of accessibility issues and how many times the issue occurs on the page. When you click on an issue, a detailed explanation is provided to the right of the list and includes:
- A description of the issue with a link to additional info available for free on Deque University
- A snippet of the code that has caused the issue
- Guidelines for fixing the issue
- Information about the severity of the issue and which accessibility guidelines are being violated (e.g. WCAG 2.0, Section 508, etc.)
- And the “Inspect” button which will bring you to the problem-code in your browser’s page inspector