Welcome to Deque's #a11ychat guide to CSUN! This guide was compiled based on the February #a11ychat - you can read the entire #a11ychat transcript on Chirpstory.
First things first: you can review the entire list of CSUN 2013 sessions on the conference website.
You can review Deque's CSUN 2013 schedule of sessions here. We're featuring three different presentation tracks - Amaze, Accessibility Success Case Studies, and Current Topics in Accessibility featuring a great panel of Deque experts and clients. And on Wednesday night from 6:30-8:30pm we're hosting an Amazing Evening of entertainment and some very special announcements. Swing by the Deque room - the Manchester C ballroom on the second floor.
Without further ado, the Deque #a11ychat guide to CSUN...
- The number one insider tip at CSUN is to meet people - network, chat, make new friends, say "Hi" to the people you've maybe heard of but never met, and definitely make time to catch up with your old CSUN friends.
- Don't miss the CSUN tweetup. It takes place Thursday, February 28th at 6:00pm. Enjoy an evening of talking Twitter, libations, snacks, and a presentation or two. Visit the CSUN Tweetup website for more information.
- Stay hydrated! There's plenty of free water in the hallways (so maybe hold off on cracking open those $5 water bottles in your hotel room).
- Don't forget to collect your swag! At Deque we're giving out some very special t-shirts, and a few other AMAZE-ing items you'll have to swing by the room to see.
- A tip for blind attendees looking to network - tweet out the sessions you're in. Replies will hopefully give you a better sense of who else is in the room.
- Accept that it's just not possible to do everything.
PLANNING YOUR VISIT
- It's never a bad idea to plan ahead - make a little CSUN calendar for yourself. It's a busy few days! Don't overload your brain by trying to simply remember everything you planned to do.
- The individual session descriptions in the online CSUN schedule include links to add the session to Outlook or iCal. #a11ychat contributors also recommend making a custom Google calendar (you can share them with your friends!).
- Be sure to keep that CSUN 2013 session schedule handy.
- Planning to use San Diego's public transit system? Check out the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System website
- Take a look at San Diego MTS's list of day passes - very reasonably priced.
FOOD AND CULTURE
- Looking for some great seafood? Check out Sally's: http://www.sallyssandiego.com/
- After-conference drinks? Try the Tips Crow in the Gaslamp Quarter: http://thetipsycrow.com/
- Looking for restaurants that accept Level Up? Here is a list of venues that accept Level Up near or bus-able from the Manchester Grand Hyatt (Word Doc).
- Take a walk down to the San Diego Maritime Museum: http://www.sdmaritime.org/
- Close your CSUN 2013 with a trip to the San Diego Zoo: http://www.sandiegozoo.org/
WISDOM OF PAST CONFERENCES
- "The Great Big List" from the 2012 CSUN International Technology & Persons with Disabilities Conference
- What happens at CSUN, stays at CSUN.