It’s that time of year again, and here at Deque we couldn’t be more excited. It’s the 31st CSUN Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference, and this year Deque is once again a showcase sponsor. The event is taking place March 21st-26th at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Diego, CA.
This year promises to be our best yet, with a total of 15 presentations scheduled on everything from accessibility trends to manual testing; accessibility for iOS and Android and accessibility performance. Best of all, we’re bringing back our highly-anticipated annual Deque Party with our now infamous Accessible Karaoke! Plus there’s an aXe Hackathon, plenty of demos, and more! Be sure to stop by the Deque Showcase in the Harbor Ballroom A to say hi, grab some swag, and learn the latest in digital accessibility. Check out what Deque has in store for you at CSUN 2016:
Wednesday, March 23rd
- 9:00-10:00am Sharing the 2015 Trends in Accessibility Before They Gain Focus, Preety Kumar
- 10:00-11:00am Accessibility Testing Automation – Leveraging the Manual Testing Effort, Dylan Barrell
- 11:00am-12:00pm Turbocharging Manual QA Accessibility Testing, Ian Kelly
- 1:20-2:20pm Open Source and Accessibility, Dylan Barell and Panel
- 2:20-3:20pm The Mind’s Eye: Perception Through the Minds of 5 Visually Impaired Personas, Steve Sawczyn and Panel
- 3:30-4pm Accessibility and Performance, Marcy Sutton
6:30-10pm DEQUE PARTY AND ACCESSIBLE KARAOKE!!!
Thursday, March 24th
- 9:00-10:00am Testing Accessibility Early and Often for Mobile App Development, Chris McMeeking
- 10:00-11:00am Accessibility for User Experience Designers, Matt Isner
- 11:00am-12:00pm Good or Wicked? Digital Accessibility Professional Certification, Glenda Sims
- 1:20-2:20 Is it a Link or a Button? The Ultimate Showdown, Birkir Gunnarsson and CB Averitt
- 2:20-3:20 The Deque Way – Accessibility for Mere Mortals, Preety Kumar and Dylan Barrell
Friday, March 25th
- 9:00-10:00am Providing a Remarkable Experience with Native Mobile Components, Jeff Miller and Jatin Vaishnav
- 10:00-11:00am Apple Watch Accessibility, Paul Adam
- 11:00am-12:00pm Accessible Native Mobile Style Guide: iOS vs Android, Jatin Vaishnav and Paul Adam
- 1:20-2:20 When Push Comes to Touch: Accessible Complex Widgets and Touchscreen Devices, Birkir Gunnarsson and CB Averitt
- 2:20-3:20 Testing Mobile Content to WCAG 2.0 Guidelines, Susan Hewitt and Raghavendra Peri
Deque Party and Accessible Karaoke
It wouldn’t be CSUN without the Deque party! We’ll kick things off downstairs in the exhibit hall at 5:30 with some light refreshments, and then more upstairs to the Palm Foyer for the main event. There will be food, drinks, music, photos, free stuff, and ACCESSIBLE KARAOKE!
What is accessible karaoke?
Last year, Wendy Chisolm came up with a novel idea for entertainment at the party: accessible karaoke. That’s karaoke with sign language interpreters, and it was a big hit at least year’s event. We at Deque are really excited that we get to host this unique event again. Wendy has hired interpreters who specialize in music interpretation, and they’ll sign along to your stunning renditions of The Village People, Celine Dion, or whatever you choose to perform. Whether you jump on the stage or rock out in the audience, you definitely won’t want to miss it!
Will there be raffles?
OF COURSE there will be raffles! Just like last year, if you want an extra shot at the raffle, you will need to stop by the Deque refreshment stand in the exhibit hall between 5:30 and 6:30. To get your regular raffle ticket and those all important drink tickets, stop by the registration booth at the Deque Party in the Palm Foyer. See you there!
Deque is sponsoring our first aXe Hackathon on Saturday, March 26th, from 9:00am-12:00pm in the Deque Showcase (Harbor Ballroom A). We’ll work together to come up with a project that the team wants to work on (maybe a new integration or extension?) and get coding. Any resulting work will be freely available to the public. Never used aXe before? No worries! Stop by and we can you set up, or check out the aXe page to learn more.
CSUN is also hosting a Design Pattern Usability Study and UXathon. The usability study survey is available to fill out at your convenience, and the UXathon will also take place on Saturday from 9am-12pm. Learn more about the UXathon and contribute to the usability study!
Wednesday-Friday from 3:30-5:30, the Deque Showcase will be open for walk-in product demos. We’ll be demoing two new products: WorldSpace Attest and WorldSpace Assure; and any veteran favorites you’d like to delve further into. If you’d like a more in-depth product demo or want to talk to someone about a new accessibility project your team is working on, stop by the Showcase (Harbor Ballroom A) to get in touch with a member of our sales team for a more detailed demonstration.
Coffee and Networking
From 8:00-9:00am Wednesday-Friday, the Deque Showcase in Harbor Ballroom A will be open for coffee and networking. Stop by and start your day the Deque Way with some fresh coffee and good conversation.
This year’s CSUN should be bigger, better, and more informative than ever before. We’re looking forward to seeing you there!