Adaptive Switch Controls
Donna, 22 years old, College Student – Donna is about to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Radio, TV and Film. She has cerebral palsy but never considers her disability a barrier. Her limited motor control makes using a standard keyboard, touchscreen or mouse ineffective. However, she is very adept using a switch control with her laptop, tablet and mobile phone.
Exercise: Switch Control with iOS
Switch controls allow people with limited motor control to use technology by activating a switch or button. The AbleNet Blue2 Switch used in this exercise has two switches.
- Switch 1 – The White (Left) switch tabs through items.
- Switch 2 – The Orange (Right) switch selects items.
Ready to Try?
- Open the Clock App
- Open the Stopwatch in the Clock App
- Start and stop the Stopwatch
- Reset for the Next Person
Lost? You can cheat and use your finger to touch the iPad. (We won’t tell!)
Extra Credit: Try doing this task with your non-dominant hand!