We're getting geared up for CSUN 2017! That's right, the largest annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference is back for its 32nd year, and Deque is returning to the event as a showcase sponsor. Once again, CSUN is taking place at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Diego, this year from February 27-March 4th. Come find us at booths 716 and 718 in the exhibit hall. We'll be performing basic demos and can answer any questions you have about any of our products and services. You can also request specific or more in-depth demos from anyone on our sales team.
What to Expect
If you enjoyed last year's event, we have even bigger plans for CSUN 2017: with a total of 17 presentations we're covering every aspect of digital accessibility, from the section 508 Refresh to integrated accessibility testing to keyboard accessibility and accessible mobile apps. We'll even have a "Stump the Expert" event featuring CB Averitt, Denis Boudreau and Matt Isner. Step right up, ask your web accessibility questions, and they shall answer!
Deque CSUN Highlights
We're also going to be hosting some pretty cool events. One feature not to miss is our 2nd annual aXe Hackathon, which promises to be bigger and better than ever before. Join Marcy Sutton and Wilco Fiers on Saturday, March 4 from 9-12pm as they perform accessibility testing on open source component libraries, plus some good old fashioned bug-bashing. Learn how to perform basic accessibility testing or sharpen your existing accessibility skills. We expect an even bigger turnout this year!
And of course, it wouldn't be CSUN without accessible karaoke! This now infamous event will take place during the Deque party. There will be snacks, prizes, songs and a whole lot of accessibility fun. Read on for more on the schedule, and stay tuned for next week's blog post, where we'll dive a little deeper into Deque's CSUN highlights. In the meantime, have a look at the schedule below, or check out our info page on the event to learn a little more about what we have planned.
Kickoff CSUN with some inclusive design basics! This year we have some Deque team members leading a Pre-Conference Workshop, which we're really excited about. Come join us to build on the basics of accessible mobile design with our Inclusive Design Fundamentals for Web and Mobile. Presented by Caitlin Geier, Matt Isner and Dennis Lembree, this workshop takes place February 27th from 9am-4:30pm. Inclusive design is a crucial part of implementing digital accessibility technologies, because accessible design means a better user experience for everyone. Don't miss it!
During this year's showcase sessions, we're covering all the basics, plus in-depth discussions on some of the most relevant web accessibility issues. All presentations will take place in the Deque Showcase, located in Seaport Ballroom F, 2nd Floor, Seaport Tower.
Wednesday, March 1st
- 9:00-10:00am The State of Accessibility 2016, Preety Kumar
- 10:00-11:00am Scaling Accessibility in the Enterprise, Dylan Barrell
- 11:00am-12:00pm Design Trends and their Impact on Accessibility, Denis Boudreau
- 1:20-2:20pm Integrating Accessibility into your Development Workflow with Attest, Marcy Sutton
- 2:20-3:20pm State and Local Government: Roadmap for Section 508 ICT Accessibility Success, Katie Haritos-Shea
- 3:20-5pm Stump the Accessibility Expert, Denis Boudreau, CB Averitt, Matt Isner
6:30-10pm DEQUE PARTY AND ACCESSIBLE KARAOKE!!!
Thursday, March 2nd
- 9:00-10:00am Design Before Code: Thinking About Accessibility from the Ground Up, Caitlin Geier
- 10:00-11:00am Scaling Manual Accessibility Testing, Ian Kelly
- 11:00am-12:00pm Advanced ARIA, Harris Schneiderman
- 1:20-2:20 Low-Vision Task Force: Proposed Success Criteria for WCAG 2.1, Glenda Sims and Panel
- 2:20-3:20 Creating Successful Accessibility Programs through Governance, Dennis Lembree, Aparna Pasi, Sujasree Kurapati
Friday, March 3rd
- 9:00-10:00am Strategy for Mobile App Testing Methodology iOS vs Android, Jatin Vaishnav, Chris McMeeking
- 10:00-11:00am Continuously Integrated Accessibility, Wilco Fiers
- 11:00am-12:00pm Explorations in the Virtual DOM: How React.js Impacts Accessibility, Marcy Sutton
- 1:20-2:20 Keyboard Accessibility & .focus() Management in Web Development, Matt Isner
- 2:20-3:20 Kiosk Accessibility: The Journey to Make Kiosks Accessible to All, Jennifer Sawczyn, Glenda Sims
Coffee and Networking
Start your morning right, Deque Style, with some coffee and good conversation. From 8:00-9:00am Wednesday-Friday, the Deque Showcase in Seaport Ballroom F will be open for coffee and networking. Everyone is welcome, so be sure to stop by.
We've crammed CSUN 2017 with a robust lineup of presentations and highlights to keep you both informed and entertained. We hope to see you there!