Deque jQuery Accessibility Summit
As part of the ongoing partnership, Deque is sponsoring a jQuery Accessibility Summit for developers and contributors. The Summit will be held October 10-11 at Deque headquarters in Herndon, VA. This special 2-day event will cover the most common web accessibility issues encountered in jQuery UI and jQuery Mobile, options available to remedy the most common accessibility problems found in applications that use jQuery, and techniques needed to make jQuery components accessible.
The summit speakers include:
- Paul Adam (Deque)
- Dylan Barrell (Deque)
- Paul Bohman (Deque)
- Birkir Gunnarsson (Deque)
- Hans Hillen (Paciello Group)
- Ian Kelly (Deque)
- Preety Kumar (Deque)
- Jared Smith (WebAIM)
- Joseph Scheuhammer (IDRC)
The schedule is as follows*:
1:00 - Registration
- Pick up swag bags, handouts, name tags, etc.
1:30 Web Accessibility Fundamentals
- This session explores the main categories of disabilities, the assistive technologies used by people with disabilities to access the web, accessibility guidelines, accessibility laws, and the main techniques for creating accessible HTML content.
- This session takes a closer look at the challenges of interactive web accessibility, and how to solve those challenges with solid accessibility strategies, including an overview of how to use ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) to improve accessibility for people who use assistive technologies.
3:30 - HTML 5 Accessibility
- Learn about the new features in HTML 5 and how they impact accessibility. Topics include new form input types (date, email, number, etc.), new structural tags (nav, main, etc.), native media players, and more
4:30 - Accessible Interactive Forms and Form Validation
- Interactive forms can be challenging to make fully accessible to users with disabilities. This session will cover advanced form labeling techniques, input types, keyboard accessibility, form instructions and hints, “live” error messages, summary error messages, and other accessibility issues.
5:30 - Keynote Address
- Catch the vision of interactive and mobile accessibility with JQuery, and be inspired by the possibilities.
6:30 - Dinner and networking… with a twist
- Join us for dinner and rub shoulders with members of the JQuery core team, JQuery enthusiasts, and some of the industry’s most knowledgeable accessibility professionals. What’s the twist? All we’re going to tell you at this point is that you’ll appreciate and understand the importance of accessibility much more after our dinner and networking time. You’ll have to join us to find out more!
9:00 - Web Accessibility Testing Techniques
- Learn about a wide variety of techniques and tools (including Deque’s FireEyes) for testing the accessibility of web content, using a checklist-based approach as a starting point, and going beyond checklists to consider the broader context of how people with disabilities actually use the web. The session will cover some advanced techniques for testing interactive and dynamic content.
10:00 - Testing with Screen Readers
- Learn from actual blind screen reader users how to use JAWS, NVDA, and VoiceOver. You’ll come away with lists of keyboard shortcuts plus detailed, practical information about how blind people actually use screen readers, so you can develop with real users in mind.
11:00 - JQuery Mobile Accessibility
- Explore the world of accessibility on mobile devices — including iOS, Android, and Windows mobile — and how JQuery fits into the mobile accessibility landscape.
12:00 - Lunch
1:30 - JQuery UI Accessibility Face-Off!
- We’ll divide into working teams to take on the challenge of making JQuery UI widgets more accessible. By the time we’re done, we’ll have made some significant progress on some fundamental aspects of the code base.
4:30 - Debrief and Closing Remarks
- Revel in our discoveries, our shared knowledge, and in knowing that you are well-positioned to make an ongoing difference in making the internet more universally accessible!
Registration costs $250 per person. jQuery contributors can contact Richard D. Worth (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding eligibility for free registration for the Summit. Snacks, lunch, and breakfast provided.
Please contact Caitlin Cashin (email@example.com) if you have any additional questions.
Join us at our Herndon, Virginia office and learn from Deque’s jQuery and web accessibility experts!
Deque Home Office:
2121 Cooperative Way
Herndon, VA 20171
Deque has a special group rate at the Embassy Suite, Dulles Airport:
Come learn from the Deque’s jQuery and web accessibility experts, and register now!
*Schedule subject to change.