Deque is searching for a Senior Accessibility Consultant that will provide digital accessibility consulting and testing to customers. The person in this position will work directly with customers and a Deque team to deliver high-value digital accessibility services. They will help customers find and fix accessibility issues. A strong candidate for this role will be proactive, a life-long learner and have a track record of delivering exceptional service
- Be a passionate champion for accessibility and provide subject matter expertise in accessibility, assistive technologies, and universal design
- Apply detailed knowledge of WCAG and Section 508
- Integrate accessibility and 508/WCAG-compliance into requirements, design and implementation phases of technology projects
- Contribute to centralized accessibility documentation and guidelines
- Collaborate with user experience designers, usability engineers, developers, and quality assurance specialists to design and implement accessible user interfaces for websites, mobile apps and other electronic instructional materials (including PDF publications)
- Evaluate digital accessibility and provide remediation recommendations
- Inspect web code or native apps and identify accessibility issues
- Answer questions on implementing specific accessibility requirements for specific products
- Test for compliance with accessibility standards using:
- WorldSpace Attest, Assure, and Comply
- Assistive Technology
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in digital accessibility
- Expert knowledge in:
- WCAG 2.0 guidelines
- 508 Refresh compliance and VPAT
- WAI-ARIA standards
- Applicants should be able to provide/demonstrate examples of their work
- Experience testing with assistive technologies including NVDA and/or JAWS
- Experience evaluating web applications, mobile applications, different formats of graphics, animations/Flash, electronic documents such as Microsoft Office and PDFs for conformance with the full range of WCAG 2.0 Level AA Success Criteria
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Travel locally and within the country by air, rail, and car
- Ability to work from client location in Washington, D.C. (additional information below)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experience presenting and explaining recommendations for remediation
- Experience evaluating web sites developed using WordPress or Drupal
- Experience conducting usability testing with people with disabilities
- Experience training, mentoring or advocating on accessibility topics
- IAAP Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
- Web Accessibility Specialist (WAS) Certification
- Trusted Tester
Digital equality. It’s our mission, our vision, and our passion. We believe that websites, mobile applications, and digital content should be accessible to people with disabilities – and we’re passionate about creating technology that can make that vision a reality.
Deque (pronounced DEE-kew) helps technology leaders like Google and Microsoft, the top US banks and insurance companies, the top retailers, the top airlines, the top hotel chains and the biggest government agencies achieve their accessibility goals. Our accessibility tools, services and training are unparalleled. To learn more, visit https://www.deque.com.
Washington, D.C. Metro Area.
For the first 90 days of employment, individual will be required to work full time from client location (Washington, D.C.). After 90 days period, there will be the possibility for remote work location up to 3 days a week.
How to Apply
Apply by submitting your resume and a cover letter via our online application. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
In your cover letter:
- Explain your interest in joining Deque and how you align with our Core Values
- Depict key attributes that differentiate you as a candidate
Deque Core Values
- Innovation with results that matter
- Deliver what you promise
- Can-do attitude
- Open, direct & respectful communications
- We care deeply
- We practice humility
Deque is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities. Reference and background checks will be required.
Thank you for your interest in joining our exciting company!